Inter Milan are considering trying to hijack AC Milan's pursuit of Barcelona forward Ronaldinho, Inter president Massimo Moratti said on Sunday.
AC Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani and Ronaldinho's brother and agent Roberto de Assis have said initial terms have been agreed and the club must now speak with Barcelona.
But Moratti, who had previously played down the Serie A leaders' interest in the Brazilian, has risked the wrath of his city rivals by entering the fray.
"We will asses the possibility next week," Moratti told Sky television. "We have good relations with Barcelona and Ronaldinho's agent. We will see."
De Assis has said AC Milan is the only club he has spoken to but Moratti does not think that means the deal is done.
"It depends a bit on our decision. It is a deal that Milan is conducting well and it is like the transfer market is open. Therefore it is open for us too," Moratti said.
Inter are likely to lose Luis Figo to retirement at the end of the season and another creative player is on their wishlist.
The two clubs clashed last year when Milan tried to sign striker David Suazo from Cagliari at the last minute after he had already held talks with Inter. The Honduran chose Inter.
Ronaldinho, 28, has had a difficult few months at the Nou Camp because of injury and loss of form and a move has long been mooted.
The forward is out for the rest of the campaign with a leg injury and a transfer can not officially go through until the end of the season, unless he buys himself out of his contract.