Red Bull set a Formula One record of 16 pole positions in a season when double world champion Sebastian Vettel lapped fastest in qualifying for the inaugural Indian Grand Prix Saturday.
The 24-year-old German's 13th pole in 17 races also kept him on course to break Briton Nigel Mansell's 1992 record of 14 poles in a single year.
Vettel will be joined on the front row by Australian teammate Mark Webber because McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, who was second fastest in the final session, has a three place penalty for ignoring warning flags in Friday practice.
Ferrari's Fernando Alonso and McLaren's Jenson Button will share the second row.
Indian Formula One Grand Prix qualifying results:
1. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) RedBull 1:24.178
2. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren 1:24.474
3. Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull 1:24.508
4. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari 1:24.519
5. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren 1:24.950
6. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari 1:25.122
7. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes 1:25.451
8. Adrian Sutil (Germany) Force India No time
9. Sebastien Buemi (Switzerland) Toro Rosso No time
10. Jaime Alguersuari (Spain) Toro Rosso No time