Lewis Hamilton [ Images ] hopes Formula One's season-opening Australian Grand Prix [ Images ] in Melbourne [ Images ] will be a bit of a bore this weekend -- off the track, if not on it.
After being caught in a storm over lying to race stewards in 2009 and then being stopped by the police and fined for reckless driving last year, McLaren's [ Images ] 2008 world champion said he would be extra careful.
If he sticks to his plan, he will not even need to keep a wary eye on his rear view mirror on the journey to and from the circuit.
"This year should be a little more dull for you guys (reporters) hopefully," said the Briton, a winner at Albert Park in his championship season.
"Outside of the track I won't be doing any driving, I'll be keeping to myself in the hotel," he said, before slightly modifying his stance when asked whether he would really not be driving.
"Probably. I might just avoid it. I think they might just pull me over just for the sake of it being me.
"Generally I always drive to and from the track, but probably on race day I might not," he added.
Hamilton was fined A$500 dollars ($506.3) by Melbourne Magistrates Court after he spun the rear wheels of his road car on a public street in March last year and was charged with "intentional loss of control of a motor vehicle".
The Mercedes [ Images ] was impounded by police.
In 2009, Hamilton had to issue a public apology after he was found to have "deliberately misled" stewards in a post-race controversy that saw him disqualified from third place.
The 26-year-old arrived in Melbourne this year with his hopes revived by McLaren making major changes to a car that has looked off the pace and unreliable in pre-season testing in Spain.
Team boss Martin Whitmarsh said on Monday that McLaren hoped to gain a second a lap with a new floor and simpler exhaust system.
London [ Images ] bookmakers William Hill said on Tuesday that the public appeared unconvinced it was a winner, however, with odds of 9-1 on a Hamilton victory in Australia [ Images ] and 16-1 on team mate and 2009 world champion Jenson Button [ Images ].
Red Bull's world champion Sebastian Vettel [ Images ] was the 9-4 favourite with Ferrari's [ Images ] Fernando Alonso [ Images ] at 3-1 and Australian Mark Webber [ Images ] 9-2.
The bookmaker also offered odds of 12-1 that both McLarens fail to finish Sunday's race.



this
Users
Comment
article