NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » Sports » Football Briefs: Guardiola accepts FA charge for wearing yellow ribbon

Football Briefs: Guardiola accepts FA charge for wearing yellow ribbon

March 06, 2018 14:23 IST

News of all that's transpired on and off the football field

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola

IMAGE: Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola. Photograph: Andrew Yates/Reuters

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has accepted an FA charge for wearing a yellow ribbon during matches in support of jailed pro-independence politicians in his native Catalonia.

The former Barcelona boss has continually sported the ribbon in City's Premier League matches as well as games in domestic and European cup competitions, prompting the FA to charge him for violating their kit and advertising regulations.


A hearing has been requested, with a date to be set in due course, the FA said.

The 47-year-old Spaniard wore the ribbon during his side's 3-0 League Cup final victory over Arsenal at Wembley Stadium. Many City fans also wore yellow ribbons which were being handed out on the Wembley Way approach to England's national stadium before kickoff.

However, Guardiola did not wear the ribbon during Sunday's 1-0 league win over Chelsea.

Earlier on Monday, FA chief executive Martin Glenn spoke out strongly in defence of his organisation's decision to charge Guardiola.

Glenn later apologised over comments he made regarding political and religious symbols in which he included the Star of David and the Nazi swastika among those that should be kept out of the game.

Italy to close window early, play matches at Christmas

Italy will close the summer transfer window on Aug. 18 this year, one day before the start of the Serie A season, and schedule matches on Dec. 26, the league's extraordinary commissioner Giovanni Malago said on Monday.

The decision to shut the window early follows the example of the English Premier League which decided in September to end the transfer window before the season gets underway.

Until now, the window has closed at the beginning of September in most European countries, after the start of the season, leading to widespread complaints that transfer speculation overshadows the football itself.

Coaches also say they cannot prepare properly for the new campaign as they often lose key players after a few matches.

Malago, who is president of the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI), also told reporters that Serie A would stage two rounds of matches between Christmas and the New Year, again following the English Premier League model.

However, there would then be a three-week winter break.

"Next season, matches will be played on December 22, 26 and 29 and the championship will restart on Jan. 20," he said, adding that the winter transfer window would also end before the championship resumes.

Italy has traditionally had a break over Christmas and the New Year but changed this season when a round of league matches were played on Dec 30 with Coppa Italia games on Dec 26 and 27.

Next season will the first time there has been such an intense programme in the Italian top flight as Serie A competes with the English Premier League for global attention.

Fit again Funes Mori eyes Everton starting spot

Everton defender Ramiro Funes Mori is ready to stake his claim for a first-team spot ahead of Saturday's Premier League tie against Brighton and Hove Albion after featuring for the Under-23 team on his return from a long-term knee injury.

The Argentina international, on what was his 27th birthday on Monday, delivered an assured performance in a 2-0 win over SwanseaCity.

It was the first time Funes Mori played in a competitive fixture since facing HullCity in March last year, shortly after which he underwent knee surgery.

"I've been training good these past weeks," he told the club website. (

"Even though I wasn't playing for the first team, I've been playing for the Under-23s to get the rhythm, get the tempo. I'm 100 percent fit to play and I'm ready for Saturday."

Funes Mori is also targeting a place in Argentina's World Cup squad and his chances were boosted by a call-up for friendlies against Italy and Spain later this month.

"I'm very satisfied that the manager (Jorge Sampaoli) has called me even though I haven't played for the first team," he added.

 "But I'm fit, I'm ready to play. I'm feeling good – hopefully I get my chance and go on from there."

© Copyright 2018 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.