rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » FIFA renews Bin Hammam ban after full probe

FIFA renews Bin Hammam ban after full probe

December 07, 2012 09:56 IST

FIFA's ethics committee has completed its latest investigation into former presidential candidate Mohamed bin Hammam and extended his provisional ban pending a final verdict, soccer's world governing body said Thursday.

Bin Hammam's life ban was overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in July but FIFA launched a new probe one week later as it searched for fresh evidence and banned him again.

Mohamed bin HammamMichael Garcia, head of the ethics committee's investigatory chamber, completed his investigation on Tuesday and sent the files to Hans-Joachim Eckert, head of the adjudicatory chamber, FIFA said.

Former Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president Bin Hammam has been given until mid-January to respond to the charges in the report. His provisional 45-day ban, due to end Friday, was extended due to the "seriousness of the alleged violations".

Bin Hammam was accused of trying to buy the presidential votes of Caribbean officials by handing them $40,000 each in brown envelopes at a meeting in Port of Spain one month before he was due to challenge Sepp Blatter in last year's FIFA presidential election.

He withdrew his candidacy and was subsequently banned pending investigations. Blatter was re-elected unopposed for a fourth term as FIFA president.

Bin Hammam was then banned for life after being found guilty of breaking seven articles of FIFA's ethics code, including one on bribery.

Source:
© Copyright 2013 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.