Tottenham Hotspur's Premier League opener against Everton on Saturday has been postponed due to this week's riots in London, the club said on Thursday.
"Following ongoing discussions with the necessary authorities ... it has now been confirmed that this fixture will be postponed due to safety concerns relating to infrastructure of the High Road and access to the stadium caused by last Saturday's riots," Spurs said on their website (www.tottenhamhotspur.com).
Premier League Chief Executive Richard Scudamore told Sky Sports News a decision on the remainder of the weekend's topflight fixtures would be made at 1800 local time on Thursday.
The capital has been marred by violence this week with hooded youths setting fire to cars and buildings and looting shops, with similar scenes spreading to other English cities.
The first trouble started last Saturday in the Tottenham area not far from the club's White Hart Lane ground when a protest over the police shooting of a suspect two days earlier led to violence.
A surge in police numbers helped calm streets on Wednesday night after four nights of disorder, which has led to more than 1,000 arrests.
Other matches had already been called off this week, including an international friendly between England and Netherlands at Wembley scheduled for Wednesday, but this is the first Premier League game to be affected.
Everton midfielder Tim Cahill supported the decision, writing on Twitter: "It's more important that the people are safe as much as we all love footy."