rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Djokovic pulls out of Serbia Open defence

Djokovic pulls out of Serbia Open defence

Last updated on: April 25, 2012 20:11 IST

World No. 1 Novak Djokovic has pulled out of the Serbia Open tennis following the death of his grandfather during the Monte Carlo Masters event last week.

"I've made a decision not to take part in the tournament this year," Djokovic, the title holder at the Belgrade claycourt event, said on his website.

"This is certainly one of the toughest decisions in my career but it is impossible for me to play in the next few days and to think about tennis when there are some other things in my head."

The world number one said he had "no emotional energy left" after being thrashed by Rafael Nadal in the Monte Carlo final on Sunday, and would be back in action at the Madrid Masters, which starts on May 6.

The April 30-May 6 Serbia Open is organised by Djokovic's uncle Goran.

Source:
© Copyright 2014 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.