rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Del Potro ruled out of Madrid Open with virus

Del Potro ruled out of Madrid Open with virus

May 03, 2013 19:25 IST

World number seven Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from next week's Madrid Open because of a viral infection, organisers said on Friday.

The heavy-hitting Argentine reached the semi-finals last year before losing to Czech Tomas Berdych.

Juan Martin del Potro"He has a virus and will not be fit to play," a statement on the tournament's website said. "We wish him a fast recovery."

Belgian David Goffin, who was in the qualifying tournament, will take Del Potro's place in the main draw.

The claycourt Masters Series tournament features the big four of world number one Novak Djokovic, defending champion Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Rafael Nadal.

Photograph: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

Source:
© Copyright 2014 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.