Chelsea have told Inter Milan they are not prepared to consider any approach for England midfielder Frank Lampard, the Premier League club said on their web site (www.chelseafc.com) on Tuesday.
The Stamford Bridge club confirmed they had received an approach from the Italian champions but denied media reports that an offer had been made for the 30-year-old who has 12 months remaining on his contract.
The Sun newspaper reported on Monday that Inter had faxed a bid of 6.5 million pounds for the former West Ham United player.
The Chelsea statement said: "Chelsea Football Club can confirm it has received an official approach from Internazionale to discuss the possible transfer of Frank Lampard. Contrary to reports no financial offer was made.
"Chelsea FC has informed Inter this morning that we will not enter into any discussions regarding the transfer of Frank Lampard."
Inter have made no official comment although their manager Jose Mourinho has made no secret of his desire to sign Lampard who flourished under the Portuguese's tutelage during his three years at the Chelsea helm.