rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Borussia Dortmund bomb suspect charged with attempted murder

Borussia Dortmund bomb suspect charged with attempted murder

August 29, 2017 17:43 IST

 The Borussia Dortmund team bus after the explosion near their hotel before their Champions League match against AS Monaco on April 11

German prosecutors are charging a man suspected of detonating three bombs targeting the Borussia Dortmund soccer team bus in April with 28 counts of attempted murder, the Dortmund prosecutor's office said on Tuesday.

The team was heading to the club's stadium for a Champions League match against AS Monaco on April 11 when the explosions went off, wounding Spanish defender Marc Bartra and delaying the match by a day.

The 28-year old suspect, a dual German and Russian national identified as Sergei V., had bought options on the day of the attack entitling him to sell shares in Borussia Dortmund at a pre-determined price.

He had hoped the attack would force down the club's share price, reaping him a profit on his investment.

The prosecutor's office said in its statement on Tuesday it was also charging him with inflicting grievous bodily harm and with causing an explosion.

It said it could not provide further details on the charges until the charge sheet had been delivered to the suspect and his defence lawyers.

IMAGE: The Borussia Dortmund team bus after the explosion near their hotel before their Champions League match against AS Monaco on April 11

Photograph: Kai Pfaffenbach/Reuters

Source:
© Copyright 2017 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.