|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Coulthard on standby as Red Bull reserve
March 25, 2009 19:07 IST
Retired British driver David Coulthard [Images] is on standby for a Formula One comeback if either of Red Bull's drivers are unable to race in the first two Grands Prix of the season, the team said on Wednesday.
A spokeswoman said the 37-year-old Scot, in Melbourne as a pundit for BBC television, was their official reserve driver for Sunday's Australian season-opener and the following race in Malaysia.
New Zealander Brendon Hartley, a Red Bull junior driver, had been lined up for the role but the 19-year-old was unable to obtain the mandatory super-licence.
The team said nothing was confirmed after Malaysia.
Coulthard retired at the end of last season after a 246-race career that brought him 13 wins for Williams and McLaren [Images] over 15 seasons in the sport.
Formula One: The Complete Coverage