|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Alonso unsure about future with Renault
June 17, 2008 11:45 IST
Former world champion Fernando Alonso [Images], enjoying little success on his return to Renault, said on Monday he would decide towards the end of the season whether or not to continue with the team.
The Spaniard, who had an acrimonious split from McLaren last year, is 33 points adrift of championship leader Robert Kubica in ninth place with nine points, having finished out of the points at the last two Grands Prix of Monaco and Canada [Images].
"I don't know [if I will stay with Renault]," he told a news conference on Monday.
"It's not been a good year so far and it has been worse than we expected. We have not been on the podium, let alone won a race.
"We have a lot of work to do. I will take a decision on my future towards the end of the year when we'll be able to see how far we have come."
Despite his poor return from the last two races, Alonso sounded a positive note for next weekend's French Grand Prix.
"In France [Images] we have a lot of support and for me it's like racing in Barcelona," he said.
"During the week the team have worked hard and have made improvements with the car in testing. We have taken another step forward.
"I feel full of confidence at the moment and we are on the right track."
Formula One: The Complete Coverage