|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Novak Djokovic Factbox
January 27, 2008 17:37 IST
Factbox on 2008 Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic.
Born: May 22, 1987 in Belgrade, Serbia.
Lives: Monte Carlo, Monaco
Ranking: 3 (seeded three)
Plays: Right-handed (two-handed backhand)
Career titles: 8
Grand Slam titles: 1 Australian Open (2008)
Previous best Grand Slam performance: Finalist - US Open (2007); Semi-finalist - French Open (2007), Wimbledon (2007)
* Began playing tennis aged four, though his father Srdjan wanted him to play soccer.
* Comes from a family of professional skiers. Parents own a pizza and pancake restaurant in Serbia.
* Moved to Niki Pilic Academy in Munich aged 12, but returned to Belgrade two years later.
* First full year on tour in 2005, makes grand slam debut as a qualifier at the Australian Open, losing to Marat Safin [Images] in the first round. Finished as the youngest player (18 years, five months) inside the top 100.
* In 2006, wins first ATP tour title at Amersfoort, follows that with second title indoors at Metz.
* Breakthrough year in 2007, winning five titles (Adelaide, Miami [Images], Estoril, Montreal and Vienna) and making at least semi-finals in three of the four grand slams (French Open, Wimbledon, U.S. Open).
* Becomes just the ninth man in the Open era to reach the Australian Open final without dropping a set.
* Jan 27, 2008 - wins first grand slam title beating unseeded Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 4-6 6-4 6-3 7-6.