Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Get news updates:
  
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > India > Sports > Formula One > Report

Embattled Mosley says he has done nothing wrong

Alan Baldwin | April 05, 2008 15:59 IST

Motor racing chief Max Mosley, fighting to keep his job after a sex scandal, defended his behaviour on Saturday and said he was "the victim of a disgusting conspiracy".

In a letter seen by Reuters at the Bahrain Grand Prix and addressed to Peter Meyer, head of Germany's ADAC Automobile Club, the International Automobile Federation (FIA) president said his actions had been "harmless and completely legal".

The letter was also circulated to all members of the world governing body as well as the FIA's World Motor Sport Council and Senate.

"Had I been caught driving excessively fast on a public road or over the alcohol limit (even in, say, Sweden where it is very low) I should have resigned the same day," the 67-year-old wrote.

"As it is, a scandal paper obtained by illegal means pictures of something I did in private which, although unacceptable to some people, was harmless and completely legal.

"Many people do things in their bedrooms or have personal habits which others find repugnant. But as long as they keep them private, nobody objects."

Mosley is suing British Sunday tabloid newspaper The News of the World for unlimited damages for publishing last weekend revelations about his involvement in a sado-masochistic orgy with prostitutes.

Mosley, whose late father Oswald founded the pre-war British Union of Fascists, has denied any Nazi connotations to the affair.

DISGUSTING CONSPIRACY

Formula One's German and Japanese carmakers and some motorsport federations have called on him to stand down. ADAC issued a statement on Friday advising the Briton "to carefully consider his position".

"The offence seems to be not what I did but the fact that it became public," wrote Mosley, who said he had received support from 20 FIA clubs and representatives of 50 others.

"But I played no role in this, indeed I did my utmost to ensure it remained private. I was the victim of a disgusting conspiracy.

"It goes without saying that the so-called Nazi element is pure fabrication. This will become crystal clear when the matter comes to trial. The newspaper invented this in order to spice up their story and introduce my family background."

"I don't think any of this should affect my work on motoring safety, the environment or the sport," he continued.

"I believe that 21st century adults do not worry about private sexual matters as long as they are legal and harmless. I shall put this view to the (FIA) Assembly in due course."

Mosley called on Thursday for an extraordinary meeting of the governing body, to be held in Paris at the earliest practicable date.


Formula One: The Complete Coverage



Advertisement
Advertisement