Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > Sports > Tennis > Reuters > Report


Li pulls out of Wimbledon

June 22, 2007 13:22 IST

Li Na, the first Chinese to reach the quarter-finals of a Grand Slam at Wimbledon last year, has pulled out of this year's event because of injury, the Chinese Tennis Association (CTA) said on Friday.

The 25-year-old, China's best hope of a singles gold medallist at next year's Beijing [Images] Olympics [Images], has been replaced as 18th seed by France's [Images] Marion Bartoli.

"She was injured in her rib region during [the warm-up event] in Birmingham," CTA said in a statement.

"Medical staff have suggested she stops all training and competition to rest and heal."

Zheng Jie, who won the women's doubles with fellow-Chinese Yan Zi at Wimbledon last year, had already been forced to withdraw from the tournament because of an ankle injury.

© Copyright 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.



Advertisement
Advertisement