|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Raikkonen on pole for European Grand Prix
July 21, 2007 20:37 IST
Ferrari's [Images] Kimi Raikkonen [Images] took pole position for the European Grand Prix on Saturday in a qualifying session overshadowed by McLaren's championship leader Lewis Hamilton [Images] crashing heavily.
Hamilton, 12 points clear of Alonso after nine successive podium finishes, forced a half hour halt to qualifying when his car ploughed into the tyre wall after leaving the track at around 260kph.
The Briton waved and gave a thumbs up sign as he was carried away on a stretcher, with an oxygen mask over his face and a drip inserted.
The team, who blamed a faulty air gun for the wheel working loose, said he was unhurt but would remain under observation for a few hours with his participation in the race uncertain.
If he does start, it will be from 10th place -- his lowest position of the season.
When the session resumed, there were just five minutes remaining for drivers to get in a quick lap and decide pole position.
It was Raikkonen who made the most of the opportunity, lapping in 1:31.450 for the 13th pole of his career and second of the season.
It also left the Finn perfectly placed for his third win in a row after victories in France [Images] and Britain this month.
Raikkonen is third overall, 18 points behind Hamilton.
BMW [Images] Sauber's Nick Heidfeld, whose wife gave birth to a son in the early hours of Saturday morning, qualified fourth before flying to Switzerland [Images] to be with his family, with Polish team mate Robert Kubica fifth.
Provisional qualifying result:
1. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari one min 31.450 secs
2. Fernando Alonso (Spain) McLaren 1:31.741
3. Felipe Massa (Brazil [Images]) Ferrari 1:31.778
4. Nick Heidfeld (Germany [Images]) BMW Sauber 1:31.840
5. Robert Kubica (Poland) BMW Sauber 1:32.123
6. Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull - Renault 1:32.476
7. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) Renault 1:32.478
8. Jarno Trulli (Italy [Images]) Toyota 1:32.501
9. Ralf Schumacher (Germany) Toyota 1:32.570
10. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren 1:33.833
11. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Williams - Toyota 1:31.978
12. Alexander Wurz (Austria) Williams - Toyota 1:31.996
13. Giancarlo Fisichella (Italy) Renault 1:32.010
14. Rubens Barrichello (Brazil) Honda 1:32.221
15. Anthony Davidson (Britain) Super Aguri - Honda 1:32.451
16. Takuma Sato (Japan [Images]) Super Aguri - Honda 1:32.838
17. Jenson Button [Images] (Britain) Honda 1:32.983
18. Scott Speed (U.S.) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 1:33.038
19. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Italy) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 1:33.148
20. David Coulthard (Britain) RedBull - Renault 1:33.151
21. Adrian Sutil (Germany) Spyker - Ferrari 1:34.500
22. Markus Winkelhock (Germany) Spyker - Ferrari 1:35.940
Formula One: The Complete Coverage