Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > Sports > Football > UEFA Champions League 2006-07 > Reuters > Report

Lille to appeal against Giggs goal

February 27, 2007 15:12 IST

Related Articles
UEFA rejects Lille protest

French side Lille will appeal against UEFA's decision to allow Ryan Giggs's goal in Manchester United's 1-0 Champions League win last week, the European governing body said on Monday.

UEFA on Friday rejected Lille's original complaint over the quickly-taken free kick in the first knockout round first leg last Tuesday.

UEFA's appeals body will now reconsider the case on Friday, just five days before the two sides are due to meet in the second leg at Old Trafford. Lille representatives will be present at the hearing.

Lille, who had until midnight to appeal, are arguing that Giggs's 82nd-minute goal should have been disallowed because it was taken while their players were still preparing for the free kick. A replay could be ordered if the appeal is successful.

"Those who have watched the match know why we are appealing the decision," Lille president Michel Seydoux told Reuters.

"This case must be examined thoroughly and UEFA have to do it. It must be known that the referee influenced the outcome of this game. We had to appeal for moral reasons.

"It is necessary to go all the way in this case and we will go all the way. Our cause is not the cause of Lille against another club or against UEFA, it is a battle by Lille...for all the other clubs, to make sure this never happens again."

Separately, UEFA started proceedings last week against Lille after their players apparently walked off in protest at the goal.

Its control and disciplinary body will also discuss problems in the crowd at last week's match, where several United supporters were almost crushed, at its next ordinary meeting on March 22.

United fans were pushed towards a high perimeter fence early in the game, played at Len's Felix Bollaert stadium, with some having to be lifted over the barriers to safety. Riot police sprayed tear gas as supporters tried to climb the fence.

The match soon resumed but United captain Gary Neville was then hit by missiles as he took a throw-in.

UEFA Champions League 2006-07: The Complete Coverage
© Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.