|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
F1 carmakers should get no money, says Mosley
Alan Baldwin | February 04, 2006 16:52 IST
Max Mosley, the head of Formula One's governing body, has suggested that carmaker teams should be denied any share of the sport's revenues from 2008.
"I believe it would be entirely reasonable to offer the manufacturers that join the Formula One world championship no income," the International Automobile Federation (FIA) quoted him as saying on Friday.
A spokesman said Mosley had put his idea to Bernie Ecclestone, who represents the commercial rights holders.
The comments are likely to raise tensions between the Grand Prix Manufacturers Association (GPMA), that groups five carmakers threatening their own championship from 2008, and the world body.
"In view of the EU ruling on the role of the governing body, we are surprised by Mr Mosley's comments," said a GPMA spokesman.
"The GPMA remains committed to its strategy and will continue discussions with the commercial rights holder."
The FIA agreed in 2001 to limit itself to a regulatory role with no involvement in Formula One's commercial affairs after a lengthy EU anti-trust probe.
Mosley's suggestion will be seen by some as a simple manoeuvre to try and push the manufacturers to accept Ecclestone's latest offer.
The carmakers -- Renault, BMW, DaimlerChrysler, Toyota and Honda -- are holding out for a greater share of the money, as well as changes to the way the sport is run.
The existing commercial agreement expires at the end of 2007 and only half of the teams, including former champions Ferrari and Williams, have so far agreed new terms.
Mosley wants to make sure the 'independent' teams, those without manufacturer support that have been a mainstay of Formula One in the past, are not driven out.
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, who also runs parent company Fiat, told reporters at the team's car launch last month that Ferrari was not a clear-cut manufacturer like Toyota or Mercedes.
"Ferrari must not be seen as an integral part of a car manufacturing team but must be viewed as a private entity," he declared.
Recent comments by both sides in the standoff had suggested that a deal was close to hand to prevent a damaging split.
"I really think we can be more optimistic than we could have been six months or a year ago," Renault F1 president Patrick Faure said on Tuesday."We have moved forward in many directions. It seems that now everybody is conscious that a good compromise from all would be a good solution for the future of Formula One."
Formula One: The Complete Coverage