Home > Sports > Formula One >
Drivers' meeting to go ahead: FIA
July 20, 2005 18:52 IST
Formula One safety talks between drivers and Max Mosley, the head of the sports' governing body, will go ahead as planned on August 1 despite a lower than expected turnout.
The International Automobile Federation (FIA) said on Wednesday that they were disappointed only 12 drivers had signalled they would attend but the meeting in the southern French resort of Cannes would go ahead.
"Twelve drivers have confirmed that they will attend the meeting," an FIA spokesman said.
"Although this level of interest is disappointing, the FIA feel the meeting should take place regardless.
"Those drivers who are prepared to attend and wish to express their views on safety should have the opportunity to be heard."
The FIA had previously said that the meeting depended on at least half of the current super licence holders attending.
There are 20 Formula One race slots but super licence holders would include test drivers, champions in some of the junior categories and ex-Formula One drivers now competing in the two U.S. open wheel series.
The world body did not name those who will meet FIA president Mosley in Cannes, although Red Bull's David Coulthard is certain to be one of them.
"At the moment I believe that a number of the drivers will fly together on the Monday after Budapest (the Hungarian Grand Prix on July 31) to Cannes, and we'll meet him there," Coulthard said at the weekend.
The drivers want the FIA to ensure safety measures at private tests are on a par with those at races and have also expressed concern about the handling of this year's U.S. Grand Prix at Indianapolis.
That race went ahead with just six cars after Michelin advised their seven teams to withdraw because of fears about the safety of their tyres.
The FIA ruled out a request by teams for a temporary chicane to be installed to allow them to race.
The August 1 meeting was first scheduled for Silverstone before the July 10 British Grand Prix but was cancelled by Mosley after Coulthard criticised recent rule changes.