|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Narain clinches Jordan F1 deal
February 03, 2005 21:54 IST
It's official. Narain Karthikeyan will drive for Jordan Grand Prix in the 2005 Formula One world championship after finalising the deal in London on Thursday.
Jordan GP, recently taken over by Russia-born Canadian business tycoon Alexander Schnaider announced the signing of the 28-year old Indian and Tiago Monteiro of Portugal as its race drivers for the season.
The deal, details of which were not disclosed, makes Narain the first ever Indian to drive in the elite division of motor racing.
After signing on the dotted line, Narain said, "My aim has always been to compete in F1; it is where no Indian driver has been before.
"I've got the hopes of a nation behind me so I've no choice but to succeed now.
Announcing the deal, Trevor Carlin, Jordan's Sporting Director, said, "I know Narain very well because he drove for me in 1998 in Formula 3 and I have run him in various formulas every year since then. We've won a lot of races together.
"He's very competitive, a super-quick driver, sometimes a little bit raw and wild in his style but he is a proven race winner and I am confident that in our environment he will thrive. He's ready for F1 now I think he'll do a good job for us."
Formula One: The Complete Coverage