Home > Sports > Formula One >
Ferrari can count on me: Barrichello
August 19, 2005 10:51 IST
Brazilian Rubens Barrichello expects to see out the season with Ferrari despite his decision to join BAR in 2006.
Asked at the inaugural Turkish Grand Prix on Thursday whether the champions might let him go early, the 33-year-old Formula One driver said he wanted to fight to the finish.
"It would be a lack of respect to stop now and say okay, I don't care any more what's happening to Ferrari," said Barrichello.
"For me, actually if we still can fight for the constructors' championship I would leave Ferrari with six (titles) instead of five and that would be much better for myself and the achievement would be great.
"I don't think there's any chance at all that I don't finish the year, contractually, and just the human respect would be lacking," he added.
The Brazilian, with seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher, has helped Ferrari win the constructors' title every year since he arrived in 2000 although their chances of an unprecedented seventh in a row look unlikely.
Renault lead the standings with 117 points to McLaren's 105 with six races remaining. Ferrari are third with 86.
Barrichello's compatriot Felipe Massa has been named as his replacement for 2006 and the Sauber driver will test for Ferrari at Monza next week.
"Last time I drove for Ferrari was last year, in the middle of the year I did one day of testing at Mugello," said the 24-year-old, who was a Ferrari test driver in 2003 and has been under contract to the team since 2001.
"Next time will be next week. Two days, Tuesday and Wednesday, in Monza. Then I will test for Sauber on Friday."