|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Don't rule out Raikkonen: Coulthard
April 29, 2005 18:20 IST
David Coulthard believes his former McLaren team mate Kimi Raikkonen could yet emerge as Formula One champion this season.
"I think this year could be a three-way fight for the championship between Alonso, Michael and Raikkonen," he said in a column for Scotland's Daily Record newspaper on Friday.
"At the moment the money is still on Alonso. He has been faultless, while Kimi and Michael have made a few mistakes," said Coulthard.
"Both, though, are capable of leap-frogging Alonso. Spain will be another open race. The track has been resurfaced and is very slippery in the mornings and that will make Sunday qualifying interesting."
The next Grand Prix, a home race for Alonso, is at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya on May 8.
Coulthard, 34, left McLaren last season and joined Red Bull. He scored points in the first three races but finished behind Vitantonio Liuzzi on Sunday in the Italian's Formula One debut.
The Scot was 13th while Liuzzi was 10th.
Coulthard said the San Marino Grand Prix had been very disappointing for him but shrugged off being beaten by his rookie team mate.
"It is clearly a mark in the sand for the future but I am not so worried," he said. "If you are quick you are quick. What I have now is experience and that counts for a lot."
Coulthard was not happy with the balance of his car: "We have taken a step back. We have a test before Barcelona next weekend and unless it's sorted then we will continue to get worse," he warned.
Formula One: The Complete Coverage