Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article
Home > Sports > Formula One > Reuters > Report


Coulthard shunted out of Japan GP

Alastair Himmer | October 10, 2004 18:22 IST

David Coulthard felt he had been given a taste of his own medicine after being shunted out of Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix by Ferrari's Rubens Barrichello.

The McLaren driver was involved in a similar collision with Ralf Schumacher's Williams in China last month, forcing the German to retire in his comeback from a serious crash at Indianapolis in June.

"Rubens took a dive down the inside from a long way back and I think it was a little optimistic," shrugged the Scot.

"But when you consider what I did to Ralf in China you have to say that's a payback because that was optimistic too."

Coulthard collided with Barrichello on lap 39 at the fastest part of the track to end both men's involvement at Suzuka.

While neither driver was spoiling for a fight after the collision, they clearly disagreed on who was to blame for the shunt.

Also Read


Williams is back on the podium

Images: Japanese Grand Prix


"I got him by surprise," said Barrichello, who had won the previous two races in Monza and Shanghai and has already secured second place in the championship.

"I don't know if he didn't see me or what. The impact was quite severe. It wasn't like a crazy move or anything but you can see on TV he is turning so quickly into the corner."

But Coulthard insisted that the Brazilian was to blame for launching the overtaking maneuver.

"I think I was at fault in China and Rubens was at fault here," said the Scot, who will leave McLaren at the end of the season and has yet to secure a drive for 2005.

"It was like the Senna-Prost incident a few years back. It's all very well you can get your car on the inside but there's a corner."

Brazilian Ayrton Senna and Frenchman Alain Prost were involved in high-profile collisions at Suzuka in 1989 and 1990.

"Listen, he had a go," Coulthard added. "He's already said he wanted to catch me by surprise. He took a gamble and it didn't work out."
© Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
Formula One: The Complete Coverage

Share your comments


Advertisement






Copyright 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.