Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article
Home > Sports > Hockey > PTI > Report

Indian colts win second Test

March 03, 2004 19:00 IST

India survived some anxious moments to defeat Malaysia 4-2 in the second match of the PNB Junior 'Test' series between the countries at the Shivaji stadium in Delhi on Wednesday.

The hosts played lacklustre hockey for a better part of the 70 minutes but scored thrice in the last 13 minutes to not only rally back from a one-goal deficit but also make the scoreline look flattering.

With the victory, the Indians too an unassailable 2-0 lead in the four-match series. They won the first Test 4-1 on Tuesday.

The next match will be played at the same venue on Friday while the fourth and final tie will be at Chandigarh.

Penalty-corner specialist Jitender Pal Singh scored a brace (11th and 69th minutes) while V Raja (58th) and Birindera Lakra (59th) netted once each for the winners.

Jivan Mohan (49th) and P Prahbakaran (56th) sounded the board for the visitors.

It was a below par performance by the Indian colts, who won the first match 4-1, as they lacked any kind of game plan and combination for the entire first half.

The Indians came close to taking the lead in the fourth minute but a drag-flick by Jitender was deflected off the goalkeeper and hit the post.

But the young lad, who plays for Punjab and Sind Bank, made no mistake with the second penalty-corner as he went for a hard push along the ground to beat the Malaysian custodian.

The visitors on the other hand won five penalty-corners in the first half but failed to convert any.

Trailing by a goal, the Malaysians went into the second session in full throttle and were rewarded with a penalty-corner in the 48th minute. With the umpire showing the yellow card to defender Sandeep Singh for leaving the goal line before the ball was pushed on a couple of occasions, Malaysia's penalty-corner specialist Mohan, took full advantage of the Indian mindset to restore parity with a low push.

The visitors were lucky to take the lead in the 56th minute as a strong hit by Megat Azrafiq found the stick of Prahbakaran and went into the goal.

The deficit worked as a wake up call for the Indians and they came back strongly, with Girish Pimpale scoring the equaliser just two minutes later.

Lakra then put India into the lead just a minute later when he capped off a brilliant run by Tushar Khandekar from the left.

A minute from the hooter, Jitender completed the scoreline with a clean drag-flick from a penalty-corner.

© Copyright 2005 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

Share your comments


Copyright 2005 India Limited. All Rights Reserved.