Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article

Home > Sports > News > Reuters > Report


Formula One to revise race penalties

Alan Baldwin | January 17, 2004 12:22 IST

Formula One is to scrap drive-through penalties such as the one that scuppered Juan Pablo Montoya's title hopes last season.

International Automobile Federation (FIA) president Max Mosley told Reuters after a meeting of team bosses on Friday that they had agreed to revise procedures.

Also Read


Formula One - Complete coverage


"We are going to tell the drivers at the first race that we will no longer have drive-through or stop-go penalties where there is an incident between two cars but one or both cars continue in the race," he said.

"There will be a hearing after the race and then a penalty will be imposed, depending on the gravity of the offence.

"If that happens three times in a season the stewards are going to look very seriously into giving [the driver] a one race suspension. It won't be automatic but they will look at it very seriously," said Mosley.

Colombian Montoya was a title challenger for Williams until last year's penultimate U.S. Grand Prix where he collided on a slippery track with the Ferrari of Brazilian Rubens Barrichello.

Barrichello, team mate to eventual winner and world champion Michael Schumacher, spun off into the gravel and retired but Montoya continued and was given a drive-through penalty.

It began to rain and he had to stop for wet tyres before coming in for his penalty, leaving him out of the running.

Barrichello did not blame the Colombian for the nudge as Montoya tried to overtake and the Williams driver insisted it had been a racing incident.

MORE FLEXIBLE

Mosley subsequently suggested a revision of the procedures, advocating a penalty points system similar to that used to sanction road traffic offences in many countries.

"This is more flexible than that but there is the principle that someone who keeps on causing an accident in a dangerous way will be looking at a suspension," he said. "But we don't want to discourage people from racing."

Mosley said the meeting also discussed redrafting the Concorde Agreement governing the commercial running of the sport and a recently announced Memorandum of Understanding on Formula One's future.

The first race of the 2004 season is the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 7.

© Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
Share your comments


Advertisement






Copyright 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.