|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Ferrari has eyes on Button
April 27, 2004 14:34 IST
Ferrari have added Briton Jenson Button's name to their list of candidates to take over from Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher.
"One day Michael's going to stop and you've got to look around and see who's the best at that stage," Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn told BBC radio.
"I think Jenson will be on that list for sure."
Six times world champion Schumacher is 35 and has a contract with Ferrari to the end of 2006. He has won all four races so far this season.
The 24-year-old Button finished second behind Schumacher in Sunday's San Marino Grand Prix, also the best result BAR have achieved, after qualifying on pole for the first time.
It was the third podium in a row for the BAR driver, who made a stunning debut with Williams as a 20-year-old in 2000, after four seasons without finishing in the top three.
Button is now third in the championship, one point behind Schumacher's Brazilian team mate Rubens Barrichello.
"I think he's doing a fantastic job," said Brawn of Button. "He knows the circuits now and he's learning how to work with the teams.
"I think he'll be hot property in the next couple of years," he added. "I think he showed signs in the early days but if you get in the right environment and the right people behind you believe in you, it raises your game."
Formula One: The Complete Coverage