|HOME | SPORTS | NEWS|
|November 24, 1999||
Our focus is on youth, says Borde
Chandrakant Borde, chairman of the selectors of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, continues with his 'we-have-an-open-mind' stance and insists that former captain Mohammad Azharuddin's chances of being picked for the tour of Australia were derailed only because the focus is on youth now.
Borde is the same man who had picked Azhar to make his debut against England way back in 1984-85. In a telephonic conversation from Pune with
Borde is the same man who had picked Azhar to make his debut against England way back in 1984-85. In a telephonic conversation from Pune withFaisal Shariff, Borde failed to clear the air on Azhar's exclusion.
You said earlier that Azhar is not being considered. Now you say Azhar was considered along with Kanitkar and Martin. How come?
The reason Azhar was not picked earlier was because the team was doing well. We did not want to change a winning combination.
So are you trying to say that Azhar is being treated on par with Martin and Kanitkar?
Look, don't put words in my mouth. I am not saying that. It's just that the team needs to look at young blood. That is the reason we have opted for Kanitkar. Our focus is on youth.
So is this the end of the road for Azhar?
I cannot comment on that.
Do you still maintain that you have an open mind on the issue?
Could you please explain what you mean by an open mind?
We are open to his inclusion.
Has anyone from the Board or the selection committee spoken to him on this issue?
No, I have no clue. No one has told me.
You are chairman of the selectors. Shouldn't you be the person to call him up and tell him the exact status?
I am getting late for a wedding! Bye!
Mail Sports Editor
ELECTION 99 |
SINGLES | BOOK SHOP | MUSIC SHOP | HOTEL RESERVATIONS | MONEY
EDUCATION | PERSONAL HOMEPAGES | FREE EMAIL | FEEDBACK