'Damage to the PM's office is complete'
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh -- facing a plethora of problems including price rise, corrupt ministers and feuding allies -- could use some help in steering through the rocky terrains of governance. We had asked you, dear readers, to send in your suggestions about how the PM can save UPA-II. We received an overwhelming number of responses. We present some of the best ideas, suggestions and tips to the PM right here:
Part 1: Your Say: 'PM should retire and rest at home'
Name: Balaji Krishnamurthy
Suggestion: It is time Manmohan Singh started thinking of the damage he has done to the PM's office. For a long time, Sonia and Rahul, mother and son have enjoyed power without taking responsibility, whereas the PM has responsibility but no power. This is because Manmohan Singh cannot win an election even for the local municipal ward he lives in. Thus he is a political zero, and hence has no credibility with his ministers.
Add to this the fact that the real power lie with the mother and the son, and the damage to the PM's office is complete. It is time he quit. It is time he looked at the interests of the nation, rather than that of one family.
Click on NEXT to read more reader responses...
Image: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
'Go for a fresh mandate if you can't run without allies'
Suggestion: India's rich and poor are blaming and cursing you for the ill fated show that you are trying to keep running. You were the most respected leader, and a great think-tank; Don't get yourself anymore into the nonsense of these non-standard Pawar, Raja, Thomas and Kalmadi and the list goes endless (don't know how many more scams and scandals are in the making look at the present market situation) who don't have respect for themselves.
Solution one, step down with dignity.
Solution two, if you have any power and guts then throw them out and show that you can still be the best.
Throw the corrupt and clean the system otherwise step down and go for a fresh mandate if you can't run without allies
Name: Amit Arora
Suggestion: Dr Singh has no need to save his government. India's public doesn't have any better alternate to Dr Singh. No other alternative. BJP and communists are worse than Congress.
'PM should become an action man'
Suggestion: No use throwing dirt on MMS. He is doing his best surrounded by scoundrels. He is fragile, honest and a gentleman. Let him do his best what he can. Our success will be to keep guys like Modi, Jaitley, Nitish as far away from Centre as possible.
Name: Anand Van
Suggestion: PM should become an action man if he wish to save the country and his government, Corruption at the level of judges of the Supreme Court is very dangerous for the democracy. Tougher laws, exorbitant penalty, greater incentive for the exposing and recovery of black money should be put in place. Deals in property market that generate huge black money can be made to compulsory routed through transparent listing in market through through auction by the use of web medium and finances through banks.
'Manmohan Singh is a round peg in square hole'
Name: Rahul Singh
Suggestion: Manmohan Singh is a round peg in square hole. He has failed to carry the nation forward in terms of development, especially in the second innings. (2009 to present) The govt is bogged down by so many controversies and scandals.
- The PM has to boot out the corrupt and inefficient ministers from his council of ministers.
- Infuse fresh and talented men who are from a good - decent background and competent enough to run the country.
- Curb the pace of Inflation rate as an fire fighting measures. The middle class is really upset about this and the Congress will face axe whenever elections are held if inflation not checked.
- Control the Real Estate mafias and regulate the land prices to encourage agriculture production.
- Utilise that ill-gotten black money in the infrastructure development, health care to all, and creation of employment.
- Check the population explosion and unplanned growth of metros and major cities in the country.
'At least begin with strict action'
Name: Ajit D
- Ordinance to attach all properties of families and relatives of any scam ministers or officials and suspend them permanently from all activities. Also make a rule that people with scam be banned life long from politics and govt offices.
- Any action of corruption be declared anti-national, with stringent punishment. demote them if they cant be removed from office.
- All kinds of party funding be closed, this is the base for all corruptions.
- All irregularities done by Chartered Accountants should result in their disqualification.
- All accounts with fraud/black money be attached to national account, and take policies to discourage all malpractices of looting public.
- Bring in young leaders to shape in the country
- At least begin with strict action.
'Don't be an employee in the govt, be its leader'
Name: Mahesh Shanbhag
Suggestion: PM has to become a 'DEMOCRATIC DICTATOR'. Follow democratic process but with quick decisions, very strong follow-ups, make others accountable and all failures followed with ruthless actions as a dictator.
Name: GVK Prasad
Suggestion: Manmohan Singh should act as a true leader of his ministry and take serious administrative steps on his line of thinking.
- He should not be working as an employee in the Govt but as a leader of the government.
- He should bring the Lokpal bill immediately; remove the non-working and adamant politicians from govt and appoint only knowledgeable and distinguished personalities to portfolios.
- Create anti-corruption institutions with independent powers to conduct enquiry about corruption allegations against politicians and officers in higher positions and confiscate all the relevant assets once charges are proved against them.
- Establish separate fast track courts for clearing criminal and corruption cases within the limited time period for speedy justice and hardcore punishments for guilty and to create a fear among wrongdoers in the country.
- Making the required changes to double taxation treaties with countries like Mauritius to avoid tax evasions and transfer pricing policies. Bringing an act to remove the politicians from sports organisations and allowed only sports people to take charge for them.
- If Manmohan can't do these things, better to resign for the PM post.