rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Rescue ops called off at collapse site, toll 74

Rescue ops called off at collapse site, toll 74

Last updated on: April 6, 2013 23:28 IST

Rescue ops called off at collapse site

     Next

Next

Rescue operations were called off at the Shil Phata building collapse site, in Thane, Maharashtra, on Saturday afternoon, nearly 43 hours after the illegal structure crashed, officials said.

"Rescue operations have been called off. The death toll at present stands at 74 while 62 people have been pulled out alive," Thane Joint Commissioner of Police Vipin Kumar told reporters at the scene of the tragedy, the worst of its kind in Maharashtra.

Click on NEXT for more...


Image: The under-construction building collapsed in Thane on Thursday evening
Photographs: Sahil Salvi

     Next

Rescue ops called off at collapse site

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

According to the Regional Disaster Management Control sources, those dead include 22 women and 17 children.

Of the 60 injured, 36 have been admitted to hospitals in Thane, Kalwa and Mumbra. The seriously injured have been shifted to JJ Hospital and Sion Hospital in Mumbai.

Though a case has been registered against builders including Salil and Khalil Jamadar under Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of the Indian Penal Code, they continue to evade arrest.

Click on NEXT for more...


Image: Rescue workers use a cutting tool to search for survivors after the building collapse in Thane
Photographs: Danish Siddiqui/Reuters

Prev     Next

Rescue ops called off at collapse site

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Kumar said an adjoining multi-storey structure, also constructed by the same builder illegally, was in the process of being pulled down.

R A Rajeev, Thane's municipal commissioner, had on Friday gone on record to say that 90 per cent of buildings in Mumbra area where Shil Phata, the scene of Thursday's tragedy is located, are illegal.

Click on NEXT for more...


Image: Rescue workers search for survivors at the site of the crash in Thane
Photographs: Danish Siddiqui/Reuters

Prev     Next

Rescue ops called off at collapse site

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Alok Awasthi, commandant of the National Disaster Response Force, which was rushed from Pune soon after the collapse, confirmed that rescue efforts had been abandoned.

"We have explored the area up to eight feet underneath the plinth and we are reasonably sure that there is nobody there," said Awasthi, who led his team of 90 men who painstakingly rescued 62 people from the massive wreckage.

Click on NEXT for more...


Image: Neighbours carry out rescue operations in Thane
Photographs: Danish Siddiqui/Reuters

Prev     Next

Rescue ops called off at collapse site

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Describing the operation as "complicated", Awasthi said because it was a "sandwich collapse", with a floor lying over another floor, it was a daunting task to remove debris from each storey to look for survivors.

"We had to proceed very slowly as any misstep would have pushed up the death toll," he said.

The government had on Friday suspended Thane Deputy Municipal Commissioner Deepak Chavan and Shil-Daighar Senior Police Inspector K P Naik for dereliction of duty and for allegedly colluding with the builders.

Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has also announced a probe by an additional chief secretary-level officer.

Click on NEXT for more...


Photographs: Danish Siddiqui/Reuters

Prev     Next

TOP photo features of the week

Prev     More

Click on MORE to see another set of PHOTO features...



Tags:

Prev     More
© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.