Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has made a last-ditch attempt to woo the three JD(S) MPs to vote in favour of the government in the trust vote on July 22.
Gowda will meet the prime minister on Saturday.
Dr Singh appealed to former prime minister H D Deve Gowda in a telephonic conversation to support the Congress during the trust vote on July 22.
Both the Congress and JD(S) camps refused to divulge details of the conversation. Rubbishing a split in the party, Gowda said the party MP from Kerala, MP Veerendra Kumar, is very much in the party. Gowda will also meet Kumar on Saturday.
Here we take a look at the possible pros an cons of Gowda's decision -- whatever that is.
Advantages of supporting the Congress:
1. A tie-up during the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections and sharing of seats in Karnataka.
2. A long-term relationship means toppling the BJP government and forming the government in Karnataka with the support of the Congress and independent MLAs.
3. Could ensure nationalisation of mines as a result of which the BJP which controls a large chunk of the mining lobby will be affected.
1. Dreams of reviving a Third Front and his subsequent key role.
2. Gowda's dream of playing important role in national politics once again could be dashed.3. Will earn the wrath of the Left which helped Gowda become the prime minister.