A suicide bomber was on Thursday gunned down close to the Indian Consulate complex in Afghanistan's Kandahar province before he could detonate explosives.
Sources in New Delhi said the bomber was shot dead by Afghan security forces around 1:30 PM after he managed to gain access to the street housing the Indian consulate.
They said authorities in Kandahar have informed the Indian officials about the attempt to attack the Indian consulate. All Indians are safe.
"Local police informed the mission that the militant was approaching the Indian consulate," a source said.
In August last year, three bombers drove in a car towards the Indian Consulate in Jalalabad and detonated explosives, killing 12, including eight children, and injuring 24 others. The dead included the bombers.
In 2008, a car bomb attack on the Indian Embassy in Kabul had killed over 60 people including two senior diplomats and two Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) personnel.
The Indian embassy in Kabul was targeted in 2009 also.
Suicide attacks on two guest houses in Kabul in 2010 had killed 16 people, including seven Indians.