Around 300 people were taken ill after chlorine gas leaked from a nearby chemical factory in Puducherry on Wednesday, the police said.
"None of those admitted are in a serious condition. Till Wednesday afternoon, only around 70 people were admitted, but the number of people being brought to hospital has now increased. We will review their condition and discharge around 250 of them later in the day," said a medical superintendent of Indira Gandhi Government Hospital said.
The victims complained of respiratory problems and eye irritation after inhaling the gas. Para medical staff had been deployed to attend to them, added the medical superintendent.
Police said the leak of chlorine from a cylinder stored in the factory at Pudhu Nagar locality had been plugged.
Relatives of the victims said there was sudden spread of the gas in the area at 7.30 hours on Wednesday causing respiratory problems and irritation in eyes.
Puducherry Home and Health Minister E Valsaraj who inspected the factory, told reporters that the administration had ordered immediate closure of the factory.
Public Works Department Minister M O H F Shahjahan said a detailed inquiry into the incident would be conducted by pollution control authorities and the directorate of factories.