The police is yet to make any headway in its probe into the rape of a seven-year-old girl in a municipal school in Manglopuri, New Delhi, even as it questioned around 200 people while locals continued their protests demanding immediate arrest of the culprit.
A senior police official said no arrest has been made so far in the case. Around 200 people have been questioned in connection with the case, he said.
The class II student was raped by an unidentified man inside the North Delhi Municipal Corporation-run primary school in Mongolpuri L Block of north-west Delhi on Thursday.
The incident came to light at around 9 am on Friday when her parents informed police about it.
Locals, on the other hand, continued their protests for the second day on Saturday.
Police said they were in the process of making a sketch of the accused on the basis of the victim's statement.
When asked whether any non-teaching staff was involved in the crime, the official did not rule it out.
Meanwhile, North Delhi Municipal Corporation Commissioner P K Gupta suspended five staff of the school. The suspended officials were school inspector Balraj Singh, principal Neelam Karwal, class teacher Monica Kohli, school attendant Sushila and guard Kailash.
Gupta also constituted a five-member committee to inquire and fix the responsibility of omissions/commissions in the sexual assault case.
Additional Commissioner (Engg) Pawan Sharma will head the committee. Director (Education) Nedunchezhiyan, Deputy Commissioner R S Meena, Director (Vigilance) Deepak Purohit and Chief Medical Officer Dr Amita Saxena are its members.
The committee has also been asked to suggest measures for strengthening the security and safety of the students studying in the North Delhi Municipal Primary Schools. The committee has been asked to submit its report within three days, an NDMC statement said.