Orissa government on Wednesday assessed the loss of about Rs 2,121 crore due to the recent floods which killed at least 41 persons and damaged over one lakh houses even as people in 198 villages continued to remain marooned for the last fortnight.
"A special messenger of the state government will submit a memorandum with the central government on Thursday," Special Relief Commissioner P K Mohapatra said, adding that they were expecting visit of the central team on Saturday.
As per communication received by the state government, an inter-ministerial central team led by O P Mahey, joint secretary in the ministry of home affairs, would visit the state for an on-the-spot assessment of damages caused due to floods.
Stating that Kendrapara and Puri were the worst hit districts, the SRC said 34.43 lakh people in 19 districts were affected in the floods in the Mahanadi, Subarnarekha, Brahamni, Baitarani, Budhabalang and their tributaries.
While maximum damage of Rs 728.58 crore had been caused to water resources department due to breach on river embankments in 49 places, a large number of roads under works were washed away in the flood waters. Rural development department assessed its loss at Rs 372 crore while that of the panchayati raj department at Rs 442.27 crore.
A sum of 162.77 crore was required for relief measures like agriculture input subsidy, house building assistance and others for 19 districts," the SRC said, adding that Rs 45 lakh were required towards ex-gratia for the families of flood victims.
Latest information received from the collectors stated that 4,897 villages of 102 blocks and 21 urban local bodies in 19 districts, have been affected in the flood. While, 41 persons died, 10 were missing, they said adding that the live stock casualty including poultry stands at 1667.
As the people continued to remain marooned in 198 villages, the SRC said that 69 free kitchen centres were still operating in Kendrapara and Subarnapur districts covering 19,000 persons.