A Special Executive Officer (SEO) informed the trial court on Thursday, that in an identification parade conducted by him earlier this year, 28 witnesses had identified the bodies of terrorists killed by security forces during 26/11 terror attacks.
Of the nine bodies, two could not be identified as they were completely charred, Navinchandra Tandalkar told Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.
The witnesses were called to identify the bodies of the terrorists because they had seen them firing indiscriminately at people at hotel Taj, hotel Oberoi-Trident and Nariman House which were targeted by attackers.
All the slain terrorists have been identified as Pakistan Nationals and their bodies are still lying in a city morgue awaiting instructions for disposal.
They were identified as Ismail Khan alias Abu Ismail, Imran Babar alias Abu Aakasha, Nasir alias Abu Umar, Nazir Ahmed alias Abu Umer, Hafiz Arshad alias Abdul Rehman Bada, Abdul Rehman Chota, Fahad Ullah, Javed alias Abu Ali and Abu Shoeeb.
Lone surviving Pakistan gunman Ajmal Kasab has earlier confessed before a Magistrate revealing the conspiracy andidentity of attackers.
The SEO informed the court that dummy bodies were kept along with the bodies of terrorists and one by one the witnesses came forward to identify them at the J J hospital morgue on January 6 and 7 this year.
In another development, former additional Chief Secretary (Home), Government of Maharashtra, Chitakala Zutshi, and SEOs who had accorded sanction to follow procedures under statutes, would depose tomorrow, Prosecutor Nikam told PTI.
Zutshi had accorded sanction, in her capacity as the competent authority, to police to intercept telephone talks between terrorists and their Pakistan handlers during terror attacks. Such permission is necessary under Indian Telegraph Act. SEOs who had conducted identification parade of Kasab would also depose.