rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Jats call off quota agitation after meeting Haryana CM Khattar

Jats call off quota agitation after meeting Haryana CM Khattar

Last updated on: March 19, 2017 19:22 IST

Jats on Sunday called off their quota agitation scheduled for Sunday in the national capital, following a truce that was reached after a meeting between the leaders of the community and the Haryana government.

Jat leaders decided to call off their agitation after a marathon four-hour meeting with Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar and two Union Ministers Birender Singh and P P Chaudhary who both are Jats.

“Centre and state will soon begin the process of giving reservation, following the Delhi High court order,” Khattar told reporters in a joint press conference along with All India Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti chairperson Yashpal Malik.

He also appealed to people in the state to cooperate in maintaining peace and harmony.

Ab Jat Dilli na aa rahe (Now Jats are not coming to Delhi). We have called off our agitation and march towards Delhi. The state government has agreed to our demands,” Malik told reporters after the meeting.

He added that the community will call off its dharna from most of the places in the state, barring few where it will continue with symbolic protests.

Besides quotas, the Jats have been demanding release of people jailed during last year's agitation, withdrawal of cases slapped during the protests and government jobs for the kin of those killed and injured while taking part in the stir.

The Jats have been sitting on dharna in various parts of Haryana since January 29.

“The government will now work according to the law and will undertake a survey and check ground realities so that the decision that we finally take will stand in court,” P P Chaudhary,” Minister of State for Law and Justice said.

He added, “The reservation process will expedite after appointment of National Commission of Backward Classes chairperson and we want to ensure reservation for the community which is not stuck anywhere due to legal issues.”

A Haryana ministerial panel led by senior Minister Ram Bilas Sharma had held talks with the Jats in Panipat on March 16, after which the minister had said that an agreement had been reached with the community and the deadlock could end soon.

Demands of Jats leaders

>> Quota
>> Release of those jailed during last year’s agitation
>> Withdrawal of cases slapped during the protest
>> Government jobs for kin of those killed in stir

Around 30 people were killed and more than 300 people injured when a similar agitation by the Jats had resulted in large-scale violence in Haryana in February last year.

In view of the planned march on Monday, prohibitory orders had been clamped in Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan to stop the Jat protesters from entering Delhi.

About 24,700 paramilitary personnel had been mobilised to maintain peace. Metro and road transport has been curtailed and several schools have been closed in the national capital.

Khattar said the two sides firmed up the latest decisions with a “consensus” arrived between them.

He added that as part of the decisions made, the Haryana government will “re-assess cases registered between 2010-17 on the protesters and Jats will get full justice”.

“The next of kin of the killed and handicapped during these protests will be provided permanent jobs. Also, all those who were injured during protests will be provided their compensation quickly.

“The role of the officers will also be probed and we will take strict action against the guilty after investigation. All this will be done quickly and in a time-bound manner so that Jats gets justice. This is our desire and we believe that this issue will get resolved,” he said.

He added that as soon as the Chairman and members of the NCBC are appointed, the process of reservation for Jats will be initiated at the Centre.

“With regard to Haryana, the bill for reservation is pending in the high court and as soon as the decision comes, we will begin the process to include them in the 9th Schedule of the Constitution,” he added. 

SP, DSP among 9 policemen hurt in clash, 2 buses torched

A Superintendent of Police and a DSP were among nine policemen injured today when Jat protesters clashed with them on being prevented from marching toward Delhi.

The protesters also set fire to two police buses during the clash that took place in Dhani Gopal village on Sirsa-Hisar-Delhi national highway.

The situation turned tense when Jat protesters from villages of Chamarkhera and Kheri of Hisar district tried to enter Fatehabad district to join dharna at Dhani Gopal.

Tractor trolleys carrying Jat protesters tried to breach police barricades. DSP Gurdial Singh, who was deputed at the barrier, requested them to go on foot and join the dharna peacefully but the protesters did not relent, police said.

Later, some miscreants pelted the police party with stones. Retaliating, policemen resorted to lathicharge.

Nine policemen were injured in the clash and the protesters torched two police buses.

SP O P Narwal suffered injury on his hand. DSP Gurdial Singh, Inspector Kuldeep, ASIs Sadhu Ram, Sohan Lal, Major Singh, Daya Ram and Krishan were also hurt, police said.

The DSP and the Inspector have been hospitalised, SP Narwal said.

© Copyright 2017 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.