Over 200 students of the Delhi University, who are on an educational tour, have taken ill due to suspected food poisoning at their camp in Jaisalmer.
"Seventy of them were hospitalised and 150 given primary treatment outdoors in Jawahar hospital in Jaisalmer on Wednesday," hospital sources told PTI.
A group of 900 students of Delhi University-- all of them National Cadet Corps cadets -- were on the educational and motivational tour 'Gyanodya-II' and over 200 of them took ill after they consuming contaminated food on Tuesday night.
The suspected case of food poisoning came to light early on Wednesday morning when the students started vomiting and complained of abdominal pain.
"It all happened in the camp of the students in Sam area, around 40 kms from Jaisalmer. It is suspected that the food they had last night was contaminated. A team has been dispatched for the camp site to collect samples," the sources added.The group of students reached Bikaner on September 30 and were in Jaisalmer on Tuesday to have a look at the working of the Indian Army, the Indian Air Force and their equipment.