Journalist Syed Mohammed Ahmad Kazmi, arrested for his alleged role in the February 13 bomb attack on an Israeli diplomat's car in New Delhi [ Images ], was on Tuesday denied bail by a Delhi court which said the evidence prima facie show that he had a role to play in the terror strike.
"Suffice is to say at this stage that on the basis of call detail records of the mobile phone recovered from the applicant and the statement of witnesses, it is clearly apparent that the basis of allegations against Kazmi of conspiring with the actual assailants are there, which prima facie show that he had a role to play in this terror strike," Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav said.
He also held that "the investigation is still in progress and during investigation the material collected so far unerringly discloses at this stage that Kazmi was in touch with some of the terrorists who had planned the strike in three countries simultaneously upon the diplomats of a particular country."
"Considering the gravity of offences, the severity of punishment presecribed under the law for such offences, the stage of investigation and the large scale international ramifications of the investigation, I am not inclined to admit applicant on bail at this stage.
"The application for bail is accordingly dismissed," the court said."From the perusal of the material it is apparent that Kazmi was in touch with the assailants, he probably got money in relation to this conspiracy as well, for which the Enforcement Directorate has already issued notice to him and his wife and he said proceedings are going on before appropriate forum," it said.