rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Hyd blasts: MHA asks AP govt to hand over probe to NIA

Hyd blasts: MHA asks AP govt to hand over probe to NIA

March 02, 2013 12:13 IST

The Union Home ministry has asked the Andhra Pradesh government to hand over the probe into the Dilsukhnagar twin blasts here to the National Investigation Agency, a senior officer said on Saturday.

The Home ministry has written a letter to the state government to hand over the probe to NIA, the officer said. The Andhra Pradesh police are probing the blasts case and has formed 15 teams to carry out the investigation.

"The NIA had registered a case against Indian Mujahideen in September last year on its larger conspiracy," the NIA official said.

"In connection with the (February 21) blasts case we have got custody of Syed Maqbool and Imran Khan, who have been brought to Hyderabad on Saturday from Tihar jail in Delhi. We are questioning them. The investigation is going on. We have some leads. However, at this point of time, we cannot reveal the investigation details," the NIA officer said.

A court in Delhi had on Friday granted the NIA a five-day custody of Syed Maqbool and Imran Khan for their interrogation following which the two were brought to the city by the agency.

The blasts in Hyderabad, which claimed 16 lives, were triggered by powerful improvised explosive devices planted near Konark and Venkatadiri theatres in Dilsukhnagar.

PTI
© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.