rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Delhi HC blast: Custody of accused extended till Mar 12

Delhi HC blast: Custody of accused extended till Mar 12

February 27, 2012 20:28 IST

The judicial custody of suspected terrorist Amir Abbas Dev, arrested for his alleged role in the blast outside the Delhi high court premises in September last year, was on Monday extended by two weeks by a Delhi court.

Dev was produced before District Judge H S Sharma during an in-chamber hearing after the expiry of his two-week judicial custody.

According to court sources, the District Judge extended till March 12 the judicial custody of Dev after the National Investigation Agency said the probe in the case was still on.

Dev, a native of Jammu and Kashmir, was arrested by the NIA on the charge of sending terror e-mails to media groups after the September 7 blast which killed 17 people and  injured over 90.

Another co-accused in the case Wasim Akram Malik, who is currently in jail under judicial custody, would be produced in the court on Tuesday.

A magistrate had earlier recorded Dev's statement under Section 164 of the CrPC during in-camera proceedings. A statement recorded by a magistrate under section 164 of the CrPC bars the accused from resiling from his deposition during the trial and makes him liable for prosecution for perjury if he does so.

Regarding Malik, the probe agency had said that he was a 'key link' in the conspiracy behind the blast outside gate number 5 of the high court.

PTI
© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.