The Central Bureau of Investigation on Wednesday registered a fresh case in connection with alleged irregularities in construction of indoor courts at Sri Fort sports complex for Commonwealth Games [ Images ] and carried out searches in Delhi [ Images ] and Mumbai [ Images ].
After registering the 15th FIR in the CWG scam, teams of CBI officials reached 21 locations in Delhi, Mumbai and National Capital Region to carry out search operations on Wednesday morning.
This the first case registered by the agency after a special investigation team was constituted last month to study the Comptroller and Auditor General's report on the Games and to see whether any fresh case could be registered.
The SIT, headed by a joint director, collaborates with other investigating agencies like the income tax and enforcement directorate, CBI sources said.
According to sources, the CBI has accused Delhi Development Authority officials, contractors BE Billimoria Company Ltd and retired chief engineer of DDA V.K.Panchal in the case.
The estimated cost of the construction of squash and badminton courts was Rs 118 crore approximately but the contract was finally awarded at a cost of nearly Rs 154 crore causing a loss of Rs 36 crore to the exchequer, the sources said.