The two militants who on Wednesday carried out a fidayeen attack on a Central Reserve Police Force camp in Bemina area of Srinagar were probably from Pakistan, Home Secretary R K Singh has said.
"Prima facie the terrorists don't appear to be local but from across the border and first impressions are that they were possibly from Pakistan," he said.
Singh said the government had inputs about the entry of four militants and the forces had been on alert.
"We had inputs that four terrorists have entered. So we were alert. These two terrorists have been killed. There might be two more (terrorists) who are out (there)," he said.
Singh said he had spoken to the CRPF in-charge of the area about the situation.
The home cecretary said the terrorists
“Two terrorists came, they had kit bags and in first sight it appeared as if they were joining the cricketers. When they entered, they took out AK 47 rifles from kit bags, started firing and lobbed grenades," Singh told reporters.
Meanwhile, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said the government was still ascertaining the involvement of Pakistan in the attack.
"We are still inquiring. It (the incident) has just happened," he said when asked if Pakistan had a hand in the attack.
Minister of State for Home Affairs R P N Singh condemned the attack and called it as an act of cowardice.
In a statement, he also expressed his sympathies towards the bereaved families of the CRPF jawans.