rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Centre extends ban on bulk SMS, MMS

Centre extends ban on bulk SMS, MMS

September 30, 2010 10:50 IST

The government on Thursday extended the ban on bulk SMSes and MMSes till Friday in view of the Ayodhya verdict on title suit.

"We have decided to extend the ban by a day in consultation with the ministry of home affairs in the wake of the Ayodhya verdict, which is to be pronounced today," said a senior official.

The government is apprehensive that some extreme elements may foment trouble by inciting communal passions during the period and is taking all measures to check any untoward incidents.

"The ministry of communications and information technology has today issued orders in consultation with the ministry of home affairs to all mobile telecom service providers in the country that all bulk SMS and all bulk MMS messages shall remain banned in all service areas till September 30," the ministry of communications and information technology had said earlier in a statement.

Home Minister P Chidambaram had recently appealed for peace and caution against rushing to any inappropriate conclusion over the matter.

© Copyright 2014 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.