rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » CBI chief refuses to comment on Ishrat controversy

CBI chief refuses to comment on Ishrat controversy

March 01, 2016 16:21 IST

Central Bureau of Investigation Director Anil Sinha on Tuesday refused to be drawn into the issue of American-Pakistani terrorist David Headley's recent testimony in 26/11 case that Ishrat Jahan was a Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist, saying the matter is sub judice.

He noted that the agency has already submitted a chargesheet in the alleged fake encounter case of Ishrat Jahan.

"The matter is sub judice. We have already submitted a chargesheet in the case. Hence, I would not like to comment anything on this," Sinha, who was in Mumbai for inauguration of the new CBI office in Bandra-Kurla Complex, said.

He was asked if the revelation made by Headley before a special court in Mumbai last month that Ishrat was an operative of banned terror group LeT would have any impact on the case.

Headley revealed this while deposing before a special court, which is conducting trial against alleged LeT operative Abu Jundal in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case.

Headley told the court that LeT leader Zaki-ur-Rehman had told him about Muzammil Butt’s botched up operation in India.

"It was some shootout with the police. I don’t know which part in India. But there was one female who was killed in the shootout," Headley said.

Special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam then said, "If I give you three names will you be able to point out who was the female who was killed?" To this Headley replied yes.

Nikam then said, "Was it Noorjahan Begum, Ishrat Jahan or Mumtaz." Headley then said, "I think it is the second one."

Headley had added that Ishrat was an Indian national.

Ishrat, 19, was killed along with Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai from Kerala, and two alleged Pakistanis -- Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana -- on June 15, 2004 on the outskirts of Ahmedabad.

The encounter team was led by D G Vanzara, who was then deputy commissioner of police in Ahmedabad crime branch.

The CBI, which was handed over the probe later, filed a chargesheet in 2013 against seven police officers and observed that it was a fake encounter.

Currently, all the seven officers are out on bail.

© Copyright 2018 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.