rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » No compensation for Bahrain fire victims' kin

No compensation for Bahrain fire victims' kin

July 31, 2007 17:52 IST

A year after 16 Indian workers died in a labour camp fire in Bahrain, the families of those killed are yet to get any compensation.

The huge Indian community in the capital Manama paid tribute to those who died in the Gudaibiya labour camp blaze during a memorial meeting on the first anniversary of the tragedy on Monday night.

Indian Ambassador Balkrishna Shetty, who chaired the meeting, said he has taken up the plight of the victims' families with the country's Prime Minister Shaikh Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa.

"I informed the prime minister that the company has not yet paid any compensation to the workers' families. The prime minister said he would seriously look into the matter. Earlier, I also took up the issue with Labour Minister Dr Majeed Al Alawi," the Indian envoy was quoted as saying in Gulf Daily News.

Last month, Mohammed Al Watani, the lawyer acting on behalf of the victims' families, had urged the company involved not to let the civil compensation case drag on.

He said the dead men's families could receive as much as BD100,000 (Rs 10 lakh) each, but added only the judge could decide the final amount based on the number of dependants and their personal circumstances.

The company's Indian supervisor Mohammed Awresh Abdulrahman was jailed for two years on March 22, but Bahraini owner Salah Abdul Latif Al Abdulla and another Indian supervisor Nishat Nader Khan were let off.

© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.