The father of Indian worker Sheikh Sarang Mohammad Naeem, who was kidnapped in western Afghanistan two days ago, on Wednesday appealed to the captors to release his son and asked the Centre to make special efforts for his safe return.
Mohammad Hussein Sarang said he had sent an e-mail to the Afghanistan Embassy, asking Kabul to take steps to secure the release of his 30-year-old son.
"Naeem is the only breadwinner of our family, comprising my wife Rafat and his three sisters," Sarang told PTI.
"Naeem spoke to me over the phone just half an hour before his kidnap on Monday and enquired about our health," he said.
He also appealed to the Centre to "make special efforts to release my son from the clutches of the militants".
Naeem had joined a logistics company in Afghanistan as an engineer three months ago. He had come to Mangalore in January.
"So far, neither government officials nor Embassy personnel have contacted us. Only the police came today and just enquired," he said.
Naeem and his taxi driver were kidnapped by gunmen in Herat province of Afghanistan, while on their way to the main highway in Kabul, on April 21.