|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Report blames senior security official for Lahore attack
March 20, 2009 15:31 IST
Last Updated: March 20, 2009 16:28 IST
The preliminary report by the government investigators into the recent attack on the Sri Lankan cricketer in Lahore [Images] has blamed senior police and security officials for the March 3 incident in which six policemen and a driver were killed.
The investigators noted that due to slackness of the police officers posted on VVIP duty none of the attackers could be arrested. They said five persons, said to be accomplices of the gunmen, had been arrested and were being questioned.
The families of the security officials along with the bus driver who were martyred in the attack will be awarded Rs 500,000 each and the officials who were wounded will be given promotion. The report has said the possibility of a foreign hand in the attack cannot be ruled out.
Interestingly the Pakistan Cricket Board has lodged a protest with the International Cricket Council [Images] against match referee Chris Broad who alleged police officials had abandoned the match officials during the attack. Broad had also said that proper security was not provided to the Sri Lankan team and match officials which allowed the incident to take place.