|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
India replies to Pakistan's 26/11 queries
March 13, 2009 17:25 IST
Last Updated: March 13, 2009 18:41 IST
The 400-page dossier, containing replies to Pakistan's questions, was handed over by Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon to Pakistan's High Commissioner Shahid Malik in New Delhi [Images], a month after Islamabad posed the queries.
The second dossier includes telephone conversations of the 10 attackers and their Pakistan-based handlers, fingerprints and other details of the terrorists who struck in Mumbai besides forensic analysis of GPS, ammunition and other equipment used by the terrorists.
Earlier, Home Minister P Chidambaram [Images] had handed over the document along with evidence to External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee [Images]. He had added that each and every question posed by Islamabad had been answered adequately.
"We have put together answers to the 30 questions submitted by Pakistan. It is a very comprehensive document, answering each of the 30 questions," he told reporters after emerging from a meeting with Mukherjee.
Chidambaram said the answers are supported by documentary proof, CDs and forensic evidence, which are adequate for anyone to pursue investigations into the attacks.
"If Pakistan is serious about investigating the origins of the horrific crime in Mumbai, these answers provide solid basis. We expect Pakistan to take the investigation forward quickly," he said.
Chidambaram said there is 'enough material' for anyone wishing to bring the perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks to justice.
"We expect Pakistan to take investigations forward quickly, apprehend all the culprits and either hand them over to India for prosecution and punishment or prosecute them and punish them in Pakistan," the Home Minister said.
Pakistan, in response to the Indian dossier of evidence on 26/11 given on January 5, had sought more information on February 12.
In its questionnaire, Pakistan had sought fingerprints and DNA profiles of all the 10 terrorists who carried out the attacks.
Islamabad had also sought post-mortem reports of the nine slain terrorists and their detailed description and information as provided by Kasab. Pakistan had requested for 'authenticated copy'" of the confessional statement of lone captured terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab [Images] as recorded by judicial authorities and 'other documentation/diaries recovered from his possession'.
It had also sought mobile numbers used by Kasab in the past, if he had disclosed these during interrogation.
Pakistan's queries also include a request for 'authentic forensic analysis reports of mobile/satellite phones and... any other evidence establishing connectivity and communication of the terrorists with militants based abroad, along with identifying particulars'.
Pakistan had sought 'detailed transcripts of conversation amongst the terrorists'" and 'with their handlers' during the attack. It also sought logs of cell phone interceptions.
Besides, the request includes handing over of voice recordings of Abu Hamza and Kahfa, who were identified as 'handlers' by Kasab, and other technical information.
There were also two questions seeking the forensic analysis of the Thuraya satellite phone and cellular phones used by the 10 terrorists who carried out the attacks.
Pakistan also sought details of the interrogation of two Indian nationals arrested on the charge of providing mobile phone SIMs to the terrorists involved in the Mumbai attacks.
It had also sought clarity on the GPS data provided by India in its dossier to identify the 'launching area' of the terrorist, saying "certain ambiguities have been noticed in the information already provided".
The Pakistani document said the lack of 'date stamps' on some of the GPS data is "creating doubt whether these points are authentic".