|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Thane: Over 100 kids hospitalised for playing Holi with 'toxic' colours
March 12, 2009 19:54 IST
More than 100 children in Thane were hospitalised after they fell ill while playing with colours containing toxic chemicals during Holi celebrations on Wednesday, the police and doctors said.
Four shopkeepers who sold the colours were arrested. They said the children suffered from "poisoning" as a result of use of colours mixed with toxic chemicals. The condition of the children is stable and safe, and none of them is serious, they said.
The children were mostly from Ambernath who complained of vomiting, suffocation, nausea and irritation after participating in Holi celebrations on Wednesday, the police said on Thursday. Over 50 children were hospitalised on Wednesday night in various hospitals and 65 more admitted on Thursday.