Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Get news updates:

Home > India > News > PTI

   Discuss   |      Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop

Police custody for Faheem, Sabauddin

February 05, 2009 18:29 IST

Related Articles
Kasab remanded to police custody till February 13
CRPF camp attack dress rehearsal for Mumbai?
'Fahim Ansari is a prized catch for the Mumbai police'
Complete coverage: War on Mumbai
Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, arrested for their suspected involvement in the November 26 terror attacks in Mumbai [Images], were on Thursday remanded in police custody till February 17 in connection with the murder of fishing boat MV Kuber's captain.

Ansari and Ahmed, two alleged Lashkar-e-Tayiba [Images] operatives, were on Thursday produced before a magistrate's court where the Mumbai Police Crime Branch sought their custody from Uttar Pradesh [Images] police in connection with the murder of captain Ajay Singh Solanki.

Ansari, formerly a resident of Mumbai, and Sabauddin were arrested by the Uttar Pradesh police for their alleged involvement in the attack on a Central Reserve Police Force camp in Rampur on December 31, 2007.

The duo was brought to Mumbai from Lucknow in December 18 last year. When produced, Ansari alleged that three 'foreigners' had interrogated him in police custody.

Ansari's lawyer Ejaz Naqvi contended that his custody not be handed over to the police since foreign investigation agencies should not be allowed to interrogate him. However, Additional Public Prosecutor E B Dhamal argued that the Crime Branch needed additional custody to interrogate the duo regarding the incident.

After hearing arguments from both sides, additional chief metropolitan magistrate N Shrimangale remanded the duo in police custody.

Ansari and Sabauddin are alleged to have performed reconnaissance of locations in Mumbai that were targeted by terrorists on November 26.

Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested for his involvement in the attacks, is also in police custody. The terrorists allegedly sailed into the Indian waters in a fishing vessel MV Kuber after hijacking it. Before entering the city in a dinghy on November 26, the terrorists allegedly killed the captain of the vessel.

© Copyright 2008 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
   Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop